Saturday, June 9, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

I wanted to join the Foodblogevent when I discovered it recently. It is a Dutch initiative that collects recipes in a certain theme and it is hosted by a different foodblogger each month. This months theme is Guilty Pleasure. One of my guilty pleasures has to be chocolate. I don't bake sweet things too often, I mostly go for savoury things, but every once in a while I do enjoy some sweet baking. So here is my recipe for Chocolate Chip Cupcakes. The recipe is adapted from my favorite cupcakes book: 500 Cupcakes by Fergal Connolly


For the Cupcakes: (makes 18)
- 225 gr sugar
- 225 gr self-rising flour
- 225gr butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 100gr chocolate chips

Make sure the butter is on room temperature. Cut the butter into little pieces and add this in a mixing bowl. Add sugar, baking powder, flour, eggs and vanilla and mix this into a batter. Then scoop in the chocolate chips. Pre heat the oven to about 160 degrees for a microwave oven in about 180 for an electric oven. Line up muffincups into a muffin tin. Scoop about a heaping tbsp of batter into each hole. Bake them for about 20 minutes. With my oven I had to bake each batch for another 5 minutes on 140 degrees, but this is different for each oven. They are done if you can stick a toothpick in them and they come out clean. If you want to decorate them, let them cool down. If not, they are pretty yummy on their own.


For the decoration:
- 300 gr dark chocolate, chopped
- 115 gr butter
- 250gr powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp whipped cream
- Rainbow sprinkles

Melt the butter together with the chocolate in a small pan on low heat. Keep stirring, or else it will burn. Patience is key here, so don't set the heat higher, just keep stirring. Stir in the whipped cream. Remove the pan from the heat and then add in the sifted powdered sugar. If you happen to get a sticky mass like we did, just place the pan back on the heat and stir in some more cream. I do have to say that we had a lot of leftover chocolate goodness ;) Scoop the chocolate cream in a pastry bag and decorate the cupcakes. Just use a round tip because it is too fluid to make a nice shape with it. Add some sprinkles and it is all done! Leave the cupcakes until the cream has hardened.

We are not very good at this and the cream was all over the place, but it sure was tasty!

This post is part of Weekend Cooking and also of Foodblogevent. Check both of them out for more yummyness in the kitchen!



11 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum! Chocolate is definitely my favorite guilty pleasure. Thanks for the recipe :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FoodBlogEvent sounds like a cool, fun concept. And, I love your guilty pleasure! I think the photos look great and delish. I signed up to Follow your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cupcakes look so lovely, and FoodBlogEvent is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to bake cupcakes but haven't in a while. I may try these with my granddaughter.
    Here's My WC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you are so naughty to tempt me like this! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh. I need to bake -- like tomorrow. I have a weakness for baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for joining in! I've put your entry for the Foodblogevent juni 2012 on my blog.

    I love cupcakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like lots of frosting on a cupcake and sprinkles are a must. They look super tasty.

    ReplyDelete