Monday, July 16, 2012

Foodblogevent July: Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

The Foodblogevent is hosted every month by another food blogger and has a different theme each month. This month it is hosted by Uit Paulines Keuken and the theme is high tea. This is my second entry for this month. Because I am going vegan for two days during this months VeggieChallenge, and I wanted to try my hand at vegan baking, this is yet another vegan entry. Don't let that stop you from making them though even if you aren't vegan. The ingredients are easy to come by and they are a breeze to make. The recipe is adapted from Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.


Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (makes 12)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar (I used castor sugar)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 5tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt

- 3/4 cup soy milk (or almond or rice milk)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients. Mix with a spoon until the ingredients are well combined and form a batter. Fill the muffin tin with about a tbsp of the batter. Bake for about 25 minutes in a pre heated oven on 375F/190C (180 for microwave oven). The muffins should be lightly browned and a toothpick should come out clean.

They are really delicious! My BF also said they were good and he doesn't normally like soy milk, yet he really liked these muffins.


4 comments:

  1. They look great! Definitely going to make these sometime (and I may even have an idea when). Did you eat them plain or with jam or..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ate them plain, they are sweet enough for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! I am always looking for vegan baking that doesn't use egg replacers. I will be trying these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks so easy :) I've made lemon poppy seed muffins before, with Isa's recipe, and I agree: they are tasty!

    ReplyDelete