Saturday, September 29, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Announcing the Cookbook Challenge

I thought I would offer something fun during this Bloggiesta weekend and for Weekend Cooking! I know you must be like me: having tons of cookbooks laying around but you barely used most of them. Well I thought it would be nice to change that! So I am hosting this challenge to we get our butts in gear and use those cookbooks!

We will be doing this during the months October and November. This will give everyone plenty of time to sort out which cookbooks you want to start cooking from and actually do it! Also with the holidays approaching, it could be a nice chance to try things out.


Some rules:
- You can use any cookbook you like, one or multiple, it doesn't matter BUT
- It have to be cookbooks that you barely used, so no cooking from your favorites
- Make a post you are participating in the challenge and link that below
- Please make a short post about your accomplishments, it doesn't have to be full recipes (you can if you want), but a wrap up with which recipes you tried is also fine. (there will be a link up for that later)
- Sign ups stay open during the whole of October and November so jump in any time you want.

Levels:
Bashful Baker - 1-2 recipes
Creative Croissant - 3-5 recipes
On a Cinnamon Roll -  5 - 10 recipes
Swedish Chef - 10+ recipes

This is the first time I am hosting a challenge like this! I would really be grateful if you can help spread the word in any way :)

Edit: To link up progress and wrap up posts, please go here.




20 comments:

  1. Ooooh funnnn!!!!! I have one or two cookbooks sitting around that I've never cooked from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun challenge, looking forward to it! And it totally fits my program ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dangit, with name/URL there's no e-mail, so no gravatar! =(

      Delete
  3. This sounds like fun. I have tons to choose from, looking forward to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I see you made a banner, very colourful :) I've just dedicated myself to Trish' Pin it & Do it challenge, which is (for me) mostly about cooking, so I'm afraid I'll have to skip your challenge. But it's a wonderful idea and I'm sure a lot of people will participate :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always decide to jump in during November ;)

      Delete
  5. Barely use? Well that leaves out my America Test Kitchen ones.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. The infrequently used ones tend to contain complicated, time-consuming recipes, so this would be a big commitment. I am going to look at these books, though, and see what looks possible. Nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting challenge - I am planning a special book event in November where everyone links in their very most favourite cookbooks. So many cookbooks are pretty rather than useful. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in!!! I've actually been thinking about doing something like this too since my Operation Kitchen stuff is wrapping up in the next few months. We have until the end of November?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this challenge runs through October and November :)

      Delete
  9. This is a great idea. I am embarrassed to admit the number of cookbooks I own -Some that I have never made anything from. My 16 year old and I often cook toghether so we will do this together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This does sound like fun. I'm trying to be careful about overscheduling myself with blog stuff, but I will definitely be considering joining in on this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wondering, could I get my husband to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ow sounds like fun...have to remember this for IF I decide to cook a new recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! I've two cookbooks on Japanese cooking I want to review, so I might join this.

    New follower!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Picked books for this coming weekend for the challenge - Williams Sonoma Cooking for Friends by Allison Attenborough & Jamie Kimm. Think that we're making short rib shepherd's pie. i also think we'll use The Barefoot Countessa's How Easy is That? to make the Roasted Salmon with green herbs. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in! I just wrote up my cookbook challenge post on my blog and even pulled four cookbooks off my shelf from which to cook! I'm excited to finally try some new recipes after having these cookbooks for YEARS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I linked to my blog instead of the amission post... Could you edit the link? It should be: http://gnoegnoe.wordpress.com/2012/10/07/veganmofo-day-7-a-sunday-salon-about-cookbooks-and-challenges/.

    ReplyDelete