Saturday, September 1, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Strawberry Risotto

In an Italian themed cookalong in July, I made Strawberry Risotto. I was looking for a nice Italian dish that wasn't that standard and I stumbled across this one. I wanted to give cooking with fruit a try, because getting in enough fruit is still one of my weak spots and that is why I decided to go ahead and make this summery risotto. The combination might sound strange, but I actually love it a lot. I hope you will give it a try as well :) I adapted the recipe from Italiaans koken met Antoinette.


Strawberry Risotto (serves 4)
- 1 or 2 spring oinions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 350 gr risotto rice (short grain)
- 300 gr strawberries
- 1.5L vegetable broth
- some butter
- Parmasan cheese, grated
- fresh basil
- salt and pepper

Cut half of the strawberries into little pieces and puree the other half in a food processor. Cut the spring onion and some fresh basil. Bake the onion shortly in some olive oil. Add the rice and stir fry for a minute or so until the rice gets a white color. Add about 200ml from the broth and put the heat to medium. Let the rice absorb the fluids. Keep stirring and add about 200ml fluids at one time. Add the strawberries and basil after about 10 minutes when the rice is turing soft. Also add some pepper and salt (but not too much, the cheese will add salt too). Now only use 100ml fluids at a time and let the rice simmer while stirring for about 8 more minutes until the rice is creamy and soft. Keep tasting, you will know when it is right. Turn off the heat and stir the butter and cheese through the dish. Taste some more and adjust flavors if needed. Let the risotto rest for about 1 minute and serve in deep plates.


Vegan option: You can replace the butter for margarine and use natural yeast instead of cheese. You can also leave out the latter. You will get a more sweet dish, but I tasted it before adding the cheese and I liked that version as well.

This post is part of Weekend Cooking. This is a foodie meme where all kinds of food related posts are shared, hosted by Beth Fish Reads.




13 comments:

  1. not sure about that combo..I will have to think on it a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is definitely unique. I love strawberries in salads with spring onions and I like strawberries with other dairy products, so, I guess, why not Parmesan cheese. I think I'd like to give this a try. I'd have never thought of adding fruit to risotto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love risotto. I have never seen this combination before but the finished product looks delish!
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting combination. It looks delicious and so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, quite a unique combination! Will have to ponder the spring onions + strawberries . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely haven't thought of adding fruit to risotto, but I like the uniqueness of the combination. I actually really enjoy salty-sweet foods, so maybe...do you think it would taste anything like a rice pudding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never eaten rice pudding, so I couldn't tell you.

      Delete
  7. How different! Will have to try next strawberry season when I am inundated with strawberries. Don't think the frozen ones would work too good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strawberry is different, and this recipe has intrigued me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating. I certainly love my pineapple-and-jalapeno pizza, so I bet I'd love this, too!

    Here's my Weekend Cooking post.I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen anything like this! Have a great week!

    ps I am now a follower. it would be great if you followed Carole's Chatter back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, a while ago (year or two), I saw a strawberry risotto recipe that intrigued me...but I never tried it. You've reminded me - it really does look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Strawberries in risotto - now that's a novel idea! I like it! It sounds like the perfect summery addition to a meal with grilled meats or summer squash. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete