Sunday, October 28, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Pin it and Do it Wrap Up


I actually wrote my starting post about this challenge on my other blog, but it turned out I did only food pins, so it would be more fitting to write my wrap up post here. Pin it and Do it is as challenge that involves actually doing some of the things you pinned on Pinterest. It is hosted by Trish from Love Laughter and a Touch of Insanity.

I completed 4 pins in the challenge and these were the following:


I made a tortilla tart from Met de Paplepel. This recipe went up during Bloggiesta and I just had to make it. I served it with a mix from avocado and sour cream. Very tasty! Will surely make again. Don't mind the messy plate. Zeronic plated it, and well he doesn't do neat ;)


I came across a Dutch post about lunch ideas without bread at Miss Lipgloss. She wrote several tips on the subject and I made this vegetable omelet. Great idea for lunch to get some extra veggies in. I always use free range or organic eggs btw.


From Eating for England comes this Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna. I had this recipe pinned for quite a while and I am so glad I finally made it. This was my first time making lasagna from scratch and I LOVE it. It helps that it had my two favorite ingredients for lasagna in it.


This last pin isn't a recipe but a tip on how to store leftover tomato paste in the freezer. This was actually a repin, but it comes from Martha Steward. Basically you open both side of the can and keep one lid on there. Wrap it up and store it for a couple of hours. Use the lid to push the tomato paste out and wrap it up again. Store up to 3 months and cut off as much as needed.
This does sounds awesome but it isn't that easy. Pushing out the paste and cutting off a slice are things only Zeronic can do because it requires to us quite some force. I don't have the strength to pull it off. But it does work, so I don't have to toss away half a can of tomato paste any longer.

This post is part of Weekend Cooking, hosted by Beth Fish Reads. Please visit the other participants, there is always a lot of fun foodie related content to be found.


12 comments:

  1. That mushroom and spinach lasagna looks really good. Actually, all the dishes you tried look good, but the lasagna is the one that's calling to me. Love that idea of the tomato paste. I'll have to give it a try and see how strong I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe mr. BFR can help out :) But you need quite some muscle to pull it off. (or I might just be not that strong, which is a good possibility, considering my health.)

      Delete
  2. Good job following through on your Pinterest pins! I should do a challenge to myself to try all the recipes I've clipped or printed out over the years. The pile is overflowing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of those recipes look great. The vegetable omelet and the spinach-mushroom omelet look particularly delicious to me today. I might just pull together a vegetable lasagna for dinner today--you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip for freezing the tomato paste, and the lasagna looks so appealing. Now off to check out the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the spinach mushroom omlet- it look so tasty. Great job on the challenge! I've been using Pinterest recipes a lot in the past few weeks, mostly to good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on completing the challenge! Your veggie omelet looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My tip on the tomato paste is to buy the bigger can, and use a tablespoon scoop to make individual portions. Freeze them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, and once frozen, transfer them to a ziploc bag or other freezer-safe container. Then, you just put the little scoops into your recipe. You don't even need to defrost them before using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I am in doubt though if we even have big cans over here. The one that is pictured, is the biggest that I have came across, but I should keep my eyes open :)

      Delete
  8. The tortilla tart sounds delicious, and so does the spinach mushroom omelet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For the tomato paste I tab tablespoon size servings into a ice cube tray (just to keep the amounts separate) and then freeze until solid. Then toss into a baggie and when I need a tablespoon I can just grab one and go. After looking through some of the comments it sounds that others have already suggested this. Oops! ;)

    Thanks for participating again Cynni. :)

    ReplyDelete