Saturday, November 17, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Current favorite food products #1

Even though I have at least 2 more book reviews to write for my cookbook challenge, I am taking a small break from sharing reviews to share something else. I am sure we all have them: favorite foods and favorite food products. Things that we tried new, currently crave or have rediscovered. Today I would like to share some of my current favorite food products. Unfortunately I only have boring product pictures in most cases. That is because I can't really know beforehand if I like a product or not. And just to be-buy stuff so I can put them on a picture together goes a bit far ;) Anyway, here we go:

I am an easy eater but I am not so easy when it comes to drinks. The usual beverages don't sit well with me. No coffee and no coke. No English blend tea (which is the most common tea here). Also Sisi or 7up I don't really enjoy. So getting enough fluids in, is a daily struggle. I do like fruity drinks but I am allergic to orange juice ;) Luckily I do drink a lot of tea, just not the regular kind and my current favorite is Autumn Storm. I drink this tea for years now, but of course it can only be bought during the autumn. So this is a tea that I wait for and rediscover every year. The tea contains apple, cinnamon and vanilla.



Another thing that I currently love to drink is Sourcy Vitamin water and especially the flavour Lime & Lychee. I know these kind of drinks aren't a replacement for water and have added sugars. Still when I am on the road, I like to grab myself a bottle. It is not like I drink a bottle a day ;)


Ever since my BF Zeronic stopped drinking coke, there are more fruity drinks in the house. We drink different brands because we like to change it up, but one I especially enjoyed is Dubbel Frisss Pear-Cherry. I LOVE all cherry related drinks and I already knew apple-cherry, but I like it better with pear because it is more mild and less tangy.


Breakfast is often a boring thing here in the Netherlands (compared to the USA, where I see tacos, pancakes, waffles and what not for breakfast), we eat mainly bread. I discovered when I recently read more about typical Dutch products that we are the land with the most bread toppings and bread replacements. We have more different bread type things than other countries, so it seems. Because I hate to eat the same thing all the time and I have periods where I just refuse to eat bread for a while, I like to switch with crackers. These Multigrain crackers from Vita-Lu are really tasteful with all kinds of hearty toppings. I enjoyed these with my homemade sweet potato hummus, but also with cheese and garden cress, for example. I just LOVE these crackers.


As most of you will know, I am eating mostly vegetarian and I am experimenting with vegan dishes. But I am not vegan and I use eggs, cheese, milk and yoghurt. However I do try to find affordable organic alternatives so at least I know the animals have had a better life. A short while ago I discovered this very affordable organic yoghurt from the AH brand. This yoghurt is so rich and creamy! Normally I find yoghurt too sour and I need to sweeten it with sugar, but I didn't need to do that with this yoghurt. So double win!


Thanks to my Foodie Pen Pals Package from last month I was able to taste Scottish shortbread fingers. And I really liked it! It is nice and buttery and I think this has to be my favorite Scottish snack of the moment. It is too bad that I can't get it here. But I am thinking about finding a good recipe to try to make my own. So if any of you have the success recipe, please share it in the comments :)


Last but not least, I want to share my favorite lunch item from this moment. In the nearby shopping mall, a Turkish bakery has opened. They sell a lot of tyipical Turkish bread of course, and also warm items to go. They have a good selection for vegetarians, all though most of the contain feta cheese. I don't mind, so Zeronic brings something from that bakery about once a week. My favorite item is this fluffy round bread with feta, tomato and green bell pepper in the middle. The bread is a bit on the sweet side, but not too much and I love how fluffy it is! :)



Well these were my current favorite food items. Do you have any products you discovered recently? I would love to hear about it.

This post is part of Weekend Cooking, hosted by Beth Fish Reads. Please go see what other yummyness people have shared this week.


10 comments:

  1. What a great post! That tea sound wonderful (you know I like tea). It's funny I too have a problem with drinks. I don't really like Coke or other sodas and plain water doesn't interest me. I drink mostly coffee and tea and wine (I know, bad me).

    I don't think I've ever had that kind of Turkish bread -- it really looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This tea does sound good. I almost exclusively drink water and coffee. Hate soda, but love wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big water drinker..icy cold if possible.
    And regular tea..strong Irish tea or Earl Grey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drink water, English teas, orange juice and during the fall, warm cider.

    Love Natasha Lowe's shortbread recipe: http://www.natashalowe.com/tea-time-recipes.html

    It's easy because you just blend everything in a food processor. My husband likes it better than Walker's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing that recipe :) It sounds really easy, and that is how I like recipes best :)

      Delete
  5. These all look so good. I love tea and now that I drink lots of herb teas I find I like them really spiced, so Autumn Spice is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had a hot lemon drink - warding off a cold... sigh. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was addicted to Diet Coke. Now that I've stopped drinking it, it doesn't taste good to me anymore. But I still miss it. Very odd.

    So, I love my teas. I prefer flavors like your Autumn Storm with warm spices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I have the same problem with drinks and I also found a spiced tea I really like, the Lipton Moroccan one. The Yogi rooiboos with african spice is also nice. I wish they sold your autumn one here in Belgium, sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Autumn Storm tea and Turkish bread look delightful. I have just started drinking tea and like raspberry/pomegranate flavors myself.

    ReplyDelete