Monday, September 2, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Chunk Coconut Ice Cream


This post is a part of Vegan MoFo. For more information about Vegan MoFo, visit their website.

Ever since I have an ice cream maker, I am always on the look out for nice ice cream recipes. Because I want to avoid eating raw eggs anyway, going vegan with my ice cream isn't such a huge step. Sadly many times the ice cream doesn't come out the way it was intended and I am stuck with a chunk of ice crystals in my freezer. Still I keep trying. Therefore I was quite delighted that I finally found a recipe on Oh Lady Cakes that stays creamy in the freezer. I am so happy with it, I am sure this is a keeper. For the original recipe, click on the link above. Below I will share my adjusted version.


Vegan Chocolate Chunk Coconut Ice Cream
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 85 gr dark chocolate, part grated, part chopped

Whisk together milk and sugar in a small pan and bring to a boil. Continue to whisk for about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Transfer to a bowl and put it in the fridge for about 1 hour to cool. Once cool, pour the mixture into your ice cream maker. And follow the instructions from your ice cream maker. Mine takes 45 minutes to make a nice thick ice cream. I added the chocolate in the last 10 minutes. Eat immediately or freeze it. Let it thaw for about 15-20 minutes before serving.

I am sure I will be enjoying this in the last month of summer.
What are your go to ice cream recipes? I am still looking for more success recipes! :)



6 comments:

  1. I don't have an icemaker :-(
    Maybe i can stir by hand every half hour or so while in the fridge. Worked one time before so I think I'll try this one with the same method.
    I bet it tasted great?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did! I really like the creamyness of this one. And yes, you could try that. I have seen it in many ice cream recipes so I guess it will work :)

      Delete
  2. This looks great! I really like making ice cream, but I don't make it as often as I'd like to eat it. It's so worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! My last ice cream recipe was made with yoghurt and brownie chunks. Not really a go to recipe, but very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately I don't have an icecream maker... :( This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete