Monday, September 2, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Chunk Coconut Ice Cream


This post is a part of Vegan MoFo. For more information about Vegan MoFo, visit their website.

Ever since I have an ice cream maker, I am always on the look out for nice ice cream recipes. Because I want to avoid eating raw eggs anyway, going vegan with my ice cream isn't such a huge step. Sadly many times the ice cream doesn't come out the way it was intended and I am stuck with a chunk of ice crystals in my freezer. Still I keep trying. Therefore I was quite delighted that I finally found a recipe on Oh Lady Cakes that stays creamy in the freezer. I am so happy with it, I am sure this is a keeper. For the original recipe, click on the link above. Below I will share my adjusted version.


Vegan Chocolate Chunk Coconut Ice Cream
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 85 gr dark chocolate, part grated, part chopped

Whisk together milk and sugar in a small pan and bring to a boil. Continue to whisk for about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Transfer to a bowl and put it in the fridge for about 1 hour to cool. Once cool, pour the mixture into your ice cream maker. And follow the instructions from your ice cream maker. Mine takes 45 minutes to make a nice thick ice cream. I added the chocolate in the last 10 minutes. Eat immediately or freeze it. Let it thaw for about 15-20 minutes before serving.

I am sure I will be enjoying this in the last month of summer.
What are your go to ice cream recipes? I am still looking for more success recipes! :)



5 comments:

  1. I don't have an icemaker :-(
    Maybe i can stir by hand every half hour or so while in the fridge. Worked one time before so I think I'll try this one with the same method.
    I bet it tasted great?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did! I really like the creamyness of this one. And yes, you could try that. I have seen it in many ice cream recipes so I guess it will work :)

      Delete
  2. This looks great! I really like making ice cream, but I don't make it as often as I'd like to eat it. It's so worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately I don't have an icecream maker... :( This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete