Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Recipe: Speculaas Cheesecake

Cooking is something that has become a bit of a hassle these days. My energy is failing me once again, and while my BF doesn't mind to cook, he doesn't like to try new things all the time. Next to that when we do try new things, not everything is blog worthy, and things that are, I often forget to blog :( Being chronically ill is just a royal pain in the butt atm.

So far the excuses. Let's move on to the more fun things ;) In this time of year a lot of people in the Netherlands make things with speculaas, a Dutch spicemix for biscuits. I also wanted to make something because it really is a nice spice combination that has a warm and comforting flavour. Nick and I both liked a recipe for speculaas cheesecake that we found on Lekker en Simpel. This was the first baked cheesecake I ever made, and it tastes really good! For Dutch people just click the link to the recipe, I will translate below.


Speculaas Cheesecake (serves 8)
- 2 eggs
- 400 gr Mon chou (or other cream cheese)
- 200 gr biscuits of choice, I used bastogne
- 6 tbsp melted butter (about 90 gram)
- 100 gr sugar
- a bit of vanilla essence (I used 1 tsp)
- 2 tsp koek and speculaas spices (I used about 3 tsp)

Pre heat the oven on 180 degrees.
Crumble the cookies. I used a kitchen aid for that part. Mix it up with the melted butter. Then grease spring form with some butter. (I used a rather small one, for a higher cake). Press the crumble mixture on the bottom until it forms a solid base. I pressed it a bit up on the sides.

Mix in a large bowl, mon chou with sugar, vanilla and speculaas spice mix. Add the eggs and mix some more until you have a smooth batter. Add this to the spring form and bake you cheesecake in the oven until the cheese is settled. In my oven this took like 70 minutes, but the original recipe says 40.

Let it cool down, and place it in the fridge after. The cheesecake is served cold, and tastes even better the next day.




1 comment:

  1. ow that look good. I love speculaas!! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete