Friday, January 24, 2014

Comfort Food: Indian Spinach Curry

We have been cooking up a storm in this week. We tried a lot of new things and we were very lucky that all the new recipes we tried turned out great! I know I still have to blog some older recipes, but I wanted to blog this one first. It is a recipe that I adapted from one of my very old cookbooks. I have a lot of little cookbooks by Anne Wilson, from all over the world and then some. Problem is: they all have mostly meat recipes and to be honest, after not eating meat for over 8 years, I think it is time for them to go to a new home. But before I can let go, I need to see if there is anything I would like to make from a book and if there is anything worth adapting. First up is Indian Cooking. Oh I love my Indian food. Next to this recipe I saw 2 more I would like to make from the book. This progress of letting go is going to be slow... haha.

Anyway, I wanted to blog this real quick before I forget how we adapted the recipe ;)
Original this was a spinach and lamb curry. But of course I made something different :) The curry just looks like a creamy spinach, but trust me, it is not. While I am writing this, I can still smell it. (Yes I scheduled this post)


Indian Spinach Curry (serves 4 to 6)
- 400 gr tofu
- 400 gr mushrooms
- 500 gr frozen spinach
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- 0.5 tsp grated ginger
- 0.5 tsp garlic
- 0.5 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 cardamoms, peeled and lightly pressed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 125 ml yoghurt
- 0.5 tsp nutmeg
- 60 ml cream

Cut tofu and mushrooms. Add ginger and garlic and leave it for about 20 minutes. Defrost the spinach in the microwave. Bake mushrooms and tofu in the ghee or butter for a few minutes. Add spices and yoghurt and bake on low until the yoghurt is absorbed. The add spinach and nutmeg. Put a lid on the pan and let simmer for about 8 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick. Add the cream and warm through. We served it with basmati rice.

This was surely one of the better curries we made and fairly easy to do. So try it sometime. This is an Indian dish that is not spicy at all. Everyone can enjoy this :)


No comments:

Post a Comment