Friday, January 31, 2014

Very Veggie: Greek Couscous Oven Frittata

Every now and then I make an effort to make something nice for lunch. Something different than the every day sandwich. I saw this recipe in "De Snelle Vegetarier" (the quick vegetarian) that I borrowed from the library. I was very curious about this book and I was happy that I could finally try some recipes from it.
This dish was very tasty, but it was a bit too much effort for a lunch dish. I won't be doing that again. But I will probably make this dish again for dinner in summertime. It is a light, yet satisfying dish. Is it really a frittata, no, not really. But it is tasty, and can be done with a lot of different veggies. So a great way to use up veggies. That is what I did this time :) I had a bell pepper that needed to go and that worked out great. Please do note that to cram everything in there, you need a large oven dish. The standard one didn't really cut it and I ended up with a heap of veggies on top. Also: the recipe states that the prep time is 15 minutes. But this is only if you have very good knife skills. Because only cutting everything, took me about 20 minutes! And then I didn't even put the dish together yet. So yeah, not as quick as I had hoped. The egg tofu layer is however a very tasty and surprising element. I really liked it! It keeps well in the fridge. We ate 2 days from it for lunch. The couscous is a bit dry on the 2nd day, but this can be fixed with a bit of olive oil.


Greek Couscous Oven Frittata

For the couscous:
- 400 gr couscous
- 1 cube vegetable broth

For the frittata:
- 3 eggs
- 250 gr tofu
- 50 gr feta cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon (zest and 1 tbsp juice)
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- full hand oats
- full hand walnuts, chopped

For the veggies:
- 1 zucchini
- 3 tomatoes (I used cherries because I had them)
- 2 spring onions
- 1 pointed red bell pepper
(or any other veggies you have)

Cut all the veggies in slices or cubes. It doesn't really matter that much. In this case I cubed the bell pepper, sliced the zucchini and halved the cherry tomatoes.
Boil 400 ml water in the water cooker. Add the vegetable broth cube and stir through. Put the couscous in a large pan and pour water on top. You can just let it rest for 5 minutes with a lid on. But personally I like to keep stirring it though for about 2 minutes, and then leave it be. It makes a fluffier couscous.

Break the eggs in a mixing bowl. Add all the remaining frittata ingredients, except the walnuts. Puree this. Then add the chopped walnuts.

Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees. First put the couscous in a large ovendish. Then pour over the frittata mixture and lastly all the veggies. I pressed everything a bit down after I laid the slices of zucchini on the dish. If using cherries make sure to put them sliced side up. If the veggies heap on top of the dish, better drizzle a bit of olive oil on top, for a better bake.

Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes. (mine took longer. The dish wasn't warmed through in the middle and not yet set. I suspect the heaped veggies did that ;) So I had it 40 minutes in)



No comments:

Post a Comment