Saturday, March 1, 2014

Bento Bites: Greek Snack Balls

I have said it before but I haven't posted any bento for quite some time now. I don't make them as often as I used to. I only need 1 a month myself and I often forget to photograph them. But to keep in touch with the original theme of the blog a bit, the category Bento Bites will contain recipes that are easy to take with you in a bento. They would mostly fall under the category tapas normally. And I love to use tapas like things as a bento filler. I actually took those with me last Tuesday when I went to school. The picture is made the week before when we made a couple of these as an evening snack. It is just a quick snapshot, so I am sorry for the non attractive picture ;)

The original recipe is with minced meat and from the book Greek Cooking by Anne Wilson. Yet another one of my non vegetarian cookbooks that I want to pass on after I have made and adjusted the recipes I still want to make. This dish I actually made before in my non vegetarian days, and I loved to make them again :) These will work great as a party snack too and they can be prepared well in advance.


Greek Snack Balls (makes about 30 small bites or 15 bigger ones)
- 1 large potato, peeled
- 2 spring onions
- 500 gr crumbled tofu minced meat
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 50 gr flour
- 80 ml olive oil

Grate the potato and chop the onions. Add tofu, vinegar, tomato paste, egg, bread crumbs, herbs and spices. Cover the bowl with plastic film and leave it in the fridge for at least 1 hour. But overnight is better! Roll balls from 1 tbsp of the mixture each. Officially you have to mold the tips to create a pointy shape. Then roll them through the flour and shake off what is too much. heat olive oil in a pan. Bake the balls slowly in the olive oil for about 3 minutes. Remove and lay them on some kitchen towel to drain the moist.


No comments:

Post a Comment