Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Fabulous Fish: Greek Fish in Beer Batter

For a long time I didn't blog much of the fish recipe we tried. Except for sushi. Because we didn't eat it much. But truth is that we do eat fish about twice a month or so. And my BF loves to make fish with a crust. So when I was looking through Greek Cooking by Anne Wilson and saw a recipe for fish in beer batter, I knew he would like it. The book is one of the books that I am currently cooking from to donate it after I finish making what I like because I want to donate most of my non veggie cookbooks.

The fish also comes with a homemade garlic sauce. Or at least that is what it says, but it is really a garlic-potato mash. If I would have know that I wouldn't have paired it with baked potatoes. The beans are working nicely though. But next time only the mash and veggies.


Greek Fish in Beer Batter and Garlic Potato Mash (serves 2)

For the fish:
- 2 fish filets without skin
- 50 gr self rising flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 125 ml cold beer
- 80 ml olive oil
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs

For the mash:
- 1 large potato, peeled
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 0.5 tbsp white whine vinegar
- 80 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper

For the mash:
Cut potatoes in small cubes. Boil them in about 10 minutes and drain. Mash them with a fork. Add garlic and vinegar and stir through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the oil until you have a thick and soft mixture. This can take up till 5 minutes.

For the fish:
Halve the filets lengthwise. Dry them with kitchen towel. Sift flour in a bowl. Mix beer with the egg and add this bit by bit to the flour until you have a smooth batter. Heat oil in a pan. Place filets in batter with both sides, and let the fish drip before you roll them in the breadcrumbs. Bake filets about 2 minutes on each side. Place them on some kitchen towel before serving.

Serve with veggies or a Greek salad and the mash.



No comments:

Post a Comment