Thursday, June 26, 2014

Summer Special: Garden Tomato Soup

I hardly eat soup in summer even though I know it is a very good thing to eat soup in the summer. But I did make this soup a couple of weeks ago. This is really the sweetest tomato soup I ever ate. It is light and creamy and taste like summer in a bowl. The recipe used is from Will Cook For Friends.
I served it with a grilled mozzarella and pesto sandwich, but a more simple version than that is used on the blog. The soup was very tasty, but I think it did some calculations wrong, because I used 8 tomatoes, like suggested, but we only had half a bowl each. I guess I should have checked it better. Anyway, I hopefully corrected it in the recipe, so next time we have full bowls of soup ;)


Garden Tomato Soup:
- 1350 gr fresh tomatoes
- 3 to 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 4 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- salt & pepper to taste

Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees. Half the tomatoes and lay them on a baking sheet, cut side up. Quarter the bell pepper and lay on the baking sheet too. Drizzle the olive oil on the veggies and make sure they are covered nicely, add a pinch of salt. Roast for about 45-60 minutes and turn them halfway.
Saute the onion and garlic in a large pot for about 2-3 minutes. Add all the tomatoes, bell pepper (including the juices on the baking sheet) and 1 tbsp of basil.
Stir to combine and blend the soup. Add another tbsp of basil, 1 tbsp of oregano and the vinegar, stir to combine. Add water as needed to thin the soup as desired. Heat the soup through. Then seaon with the rest of basil, oregano and salt/pepper if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment