Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Slow Cooker: Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos

I finally was able to buy something of my wishlist that I wanted for a long time! As you can guess by the title of this post, it is a slow cooker! I wanted one because it is a lot easier for me to prep my food in the mornings when I still have enough energy then around dinner time.


I bought a small 3.5L crock pot for 4 person meals. And I have to say that it works really well for me so far. We mostly cook for 2 days and we still can in this pot. But we can also prepare meals for only one day. Even though I still need help in the kitchen with peeling potatoes and cutting some very hard veggies like sweet potatoes, I am glad that I am able to cook more myself again. The recipe that I share today is the first thing we made in the slow cooker. The original recipe is from Kalyn's Kitchen.


Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos (serves 2-4, 3.5L crock pot)
- 1 can black beans (or red kidney beans)
- 2 large orange sweet potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 0.5 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- 4 flour tortillas (our were a bit too large)
- fresh cilantro for serving
- sour cream (omit if vegan)
- olive oil


Place the canned beans in a colander and rinse until no more foam is coming of. Leave to drain while you peel and cube your sweet potatoes. Use a bit of olive oil on a paper towel and cover the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Put beans, sweet potatoes, vegetable stock, lime juice, ground cumin, ground coriander, and minced garlic in the slow cooker and cook on high for about 3 hours, or until sweet potatoes are soft. Season the filling to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.

When the slow cooker is almost done heat the tortillas in the microwave. Cut some fresh cilantro. Stuff the tortillas with the filling, some sour cream and a squeeze of lime juice.
What you see on the picture is some mozzarella. This was in the original recipe but Nick and I both thought it didn't add anything extra, so we will leave it out next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment