Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Slow Cooker: Red Cabbage Mashpot

One of the first things I tried in my slow cookers was making mashpot. It would be ideal if I could make his typical Dutch winter food in the Slow Cooker. I used a recipe from the Dutch Slow Cooker Facebook group for red cabbage, which I adapted to a mashpot recipe. Because me made this twice already, it was time to blog the recipe. Please so excuses the pictures. Mashpot doesn't photograph well in the best of circumstances, but in the winter light it is impossible to shoot appealing pictures. Unless I am going to eat at noon, which I am not planning to do any time soon.


Red Cabbage Mashpot: (serves 3)
- 3 large potatoes
- half a red cabbage
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 apples
- 4 bay leaves
- pepper
- dash of vinegar
- cube of butter
- 4 slices gingerbread
- some milk


Peel and cube the potatoes, shred the cabbage and peel, core and cube the apple. Put everything in the slow cooker except for the gingerbread and the milk. Pour water in until everything is just under water. Cook is for 6-7 hours on low. In the last 2-3 hours lay the slices of gingerbread on top of the cabbage.
Drain everything in a colander and remove the bay leaves. Add some milk and mash everything together.


No comments:

Post a Comment