Monday, February 22, 2016

Luxury Lunch: Kenyan Bean Salad

I had my eye on this recipe for a while already, but I never got around to it before somehow. But it seemed like a good recipe for the bento, and I still had some jars of mixed beans that I wanted to use. This somewhat spicy bean dish is vegan, but I served it with a dollop of Greek yoghurt. I first was thinking to add some rice into the mix to give it some more substance, but I decided to serve it with pita bread instead. Not very Kenyan, I am sure ;) I got the recipe from De Groene Meisjes, but they ate it as a meal for two, while I choose to make it a lunch that would last us two days.


Kenyan Bean Salad: (serves 4 as lunch, 2 as main)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 glove of garlic, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 jar mixed beans (we used HAK with white beans, kidney beans and brown beans)
- 1 jar of corn
- 0.5 tsp curry powder
- 0.5 tsp pepper
- dash of paprika
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- some olive oil for baking
- 1 cup water

Heat the olive oil in a pan and bake the garlic for about 2-3 minutes. Then rinse and drain both beans and corn. Add this to the pan together with the spring onions, tomato and curry powder. Add water and leave it to simmer for about 15 minutes with a lid on the pan. Add pepper and paprika powder to taste. Serve with fresh cilantro. You can serve it in a pita or with flat bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment